These batter Vadas are not deep fried, they are made using an ableskiver pan.
- 6 small potatoes- boiled and mashed
- 1-2 green chilies chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- Water as needed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp crushed chili flakes ( adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp salt ( as per taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- In a pot on med, heat the oil.
- Once hot, add mustard seeds, once it starts sputtering, lower the heat and add turmeric and salt. Mix for a few seconds and then add green chilies. Mix again.
- Add the potato mixture in the pot and mix well and turn off heat.
- Put the potato mixture in a bowl, add chopped cilantro and taste for salt. Mix well.
- Once the mixture is cool enough to handle, make golf sized balls and keep aside on a plate.
- In a large bowl, mix chickpea flour, cumin seeds, chilli flakes, salt and turmeric.
- Add enough water to have a runny consistency but not too thin, mix until smooth and no lumps remain in the batter.
- Heat the abelskiver pan on med low heat and brush each cavity with oil.
- Add about a 1/2 tsp of batter to each cavity, add the potato ball into the cavity and top with more batter to cover the potato.
- Once the edges start browning ( about 4 mins) flip gently with a skewer, brush that flipped side with a little bit of oil and it it cook.
- Keep flipping and brushing oil until golden brown, gently remove onto a plate.
- Serve with your favourite chutney or tamarind.
Tip: keep a paper towel handy to wipe skewer after each flip.
** For a quick tutorial check out my Instagram @thismomskitchen**