Birthday cake energy bites! Ok a little story behind how these little bites came about …
It was my girlfriend’s birthday last week and since we can’t celebrate in person, I offered to make her a birthday cake .. she refused . Phew Thank God she did because to be honest I’m not that talented 😂. Instead she asked me to make her something fun but healthy …so I went searching and came upon this recipe … I tweaked it a little bit to suit her taste. My kids were also thrilled to see how colorful these bites were and all hands were on deck for this project .
- 3/4 cup soft medjool dates
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (GF if needed)
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (or any nut/seed butter)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles (optional)
1. In a food processor or blender, pulse together dates, oats and pepitas, ground flaxseed, nut/seed butter, and vanilla extra until uniform consistency forms and mixture easily sticks together. You may need to pause to scrap down the sides of the processor/blender several times to achieve the desired result.
2. Transfer mixture to a bowl and mix in rainbow sprinkles, if using.
3. Roll “dough” into 1-inch balls and place on wax paper. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. Enjoy!