This may look complicated but I promise it really isn’t. Chicken braided bread is one of my favourite meals to make especially for special occasions and even a quick weeknight meal. A mixture of spiced chicken and veggies snuggled in a buttery puff pastry braid. It not only looks beautiful but a real crowd pleaser as well. You can use any meat or veggies you want. I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine does.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped spinach (optional
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed veggies
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1-2 chopped green chillies (omit if you don’t want spicy)
- 1 small egg (for egg wash)
- 1 package puff pastry (2 sheets) thawed according to package instructions
1. Heat a large non stick skillet on medium heat and add oil. Once the oil is hot, add chicken and cook until no longer pink.
2. Add onion, and all the spices and pastes and frozen mixed veggies along with green chilies if using, mix well and cook for 5 minutes stirring often.
3. Let simmer covered on low for 5-10 minutes. Add in chopped fresh spinach if using and cook until wilted. Add cilantro and lemon juice and mix well. Make sure chicken mixture is dry. Sprinkle garam masala and stir. Cover skillet and set aside to cool to room temperature.
4. Thaw puff pastry sheets according to package instructions. Stir chicken mixture one more time.
5. Spread the rolled pastry out on a silicon mat or parchment paper and place that on a baking pan. Leaving three inches in the middle, make cuts down the side of the dough an inch apart on both sides. Spread the chicken mixture down the middle of the dough. Take a strip of dough from one side and fold it over the middle mixture. Then take a strip from the other side and fold it over the middle. Continue down the dough, alternating sides until it is completely folded over. Pinch the ends of the dough to keep the filling inside while it bakes.
6. Brush egg wash on the braid and sprinkle sesame seeds. Preheat sdoven to 400°F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes so that the top is nice and golden brown. Let stand about 10 minutes before cutting in to it. Serve them warm with ketchup or your fave chutney.
** For a tutorial on how to fold the puff pastry – visit my instagram page @thismomskitchen