- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg ( room temp)
- 8 oz butter ( room temp)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup fine shooji ( semolina)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet or tray with parchment paper.
- Cream sugar and butter in a stand mixer or hand held mixer until fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix. Add flour, baking powder , cardamom powder and vanilla extract and mix again.
- Add semolina and mix well. Gather everything with a spatula.
- Divide the dough in half and add the cocoa powder to one of the halves.
- Make small balls from both the plain and chocolate mixes. Keep them separate.
- Arrange the balls in a pattern ( chocolate, plain, chocolate, plain) in a circular pattern in your palm. Like a flower. See a video posted on my instagram @thismomskitchen for clarification.
- Gather the balls together gently and make a dome in your palm.
- With the other hand, gently roll the balls in a swirly pattern ( try to keep the bottom hand steady). See video . Do not flatten.
- Place on prepared sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool and transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Tip: make sure your hands are cold before swirling.
** recipe adapted from Mumtaz Hasham**
I would like to view your video regarding the rolling of chocolate swirl Nankhatai.
you’re very welcome