Desi pasta refers to pasta dishes that incorporate Indian flavours and ingredients. Here’s a basic recipe for a Desi-style pasta.
- 3 cups cooked pasta – cook according to package instructions and reserve 1/2 cup pasta water
- 1 lb ground beef (can use ground chicken as well)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or any other neutral oil)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 whole green chili diced or whole slit (optional)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium tomatoes blended
- 1.5 tsp red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups frozen mixed veggies thawed (can use your choice of other chopped veggies)
- 1.5 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 2 green onions diced
- half handful of fresh chopped cilantro
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Keep aside and reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
- In a large pan or wok, heat oil on medium heat and add cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add onions along with ginger and garlic pastes and saute until onions are soft and slightly brown.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Mix in the blended tomatoes, all powdered masalas and salt expect the garam masala.
- Add veggies and saute until they are tender.
- Stir in cooked pasta and garam masala along with reserved pasta water. Mix until combined.
- Turn off heat and garnish with cilantro, green onions and a squeeze of lemon juice. Enjoy!