My fave festive dessert! This is my Nani’s recipe (grandmother). Faluda is a lightly rose flavoured milky gelatinized pudding that’s served at special occasions .. but I mean .. you don’t really need an occasion to make this ! I’ve been enjoying this ever since I was a little girl .. it brings back a lot of memories of my Nani (RIP).
⁃ 3 cups milk (preferably whole milk)
⁃ 1/4 cup evaporated milk
⁃ 1/2 cup sugar ( adjust according to taste .. start with 1/4 cup first )
⁃ 1 tsp vanilla essence
⁃ 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
⁃ 1.5 tsp agar agar powder
⁃ 1/4 tsp rose water
⁃ 2-3 drops red food coloring
⁃ Chopped nuts for garnish
- Place milk in a pot and turn heat to medium. Keep stirring .
- After 2 minutes add agar agar powder ( dissolve the agar agar in a separate bowl using 2 tbsp or more of the milk already in the pot , then add to pot ).
- Add evaporated milk, sugar , vanilla essence , cardamom and rose water Mix well
- Let it cook on med low heat for 7 minutes – keep stirring
- Once milk starts to steam , add food coloring – keep stirring .
- Let it cook again for 3 minutes – make sure to keep stirring .
- Turn off heat and ladle mixture into desired bowls or ramekins .
- Let it sit at room temp for 30 minutes . After 30 minutes , garnish with chopped nuts and place in the fridge to chill . Enjoy