A delicious blend of rice and meat cooked in aromatic spices and basic pantry staples. Making it in the instant pot makes this comfort food ready in no time.
- 1 lb stewing beef cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1.5 cups water (only for the meat)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 cardamon pods
- 1 heaping tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 small cinnamon stick (bark kind)
- 1-2 green chilies chopped (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 cup fried onions
- 1 med tomato diced
- 2 med potatoes cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups rice thoroughly washed
- 2 tsp salt
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
- In the Instant pot, add the beef, 1.5 cups water and 1 tbsp vinegar and mix well. Close the lid and position valve on seal position and cook for 20 minutes on manual pressure. Once done, let NR for 10 minutes then quick release the rest of the pressure by moving the valve to the vent position.
- Open the lid slowly and take the meat out and discard the water.
- Now on saute mode, add oil, once hot, add in whole spices (cardamom pods, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon and cumin seeds), green chilies, and ginger garlic pastes and mix well. Mix for 1 minute, then add in fried onions, tomato and potatoes, mix again.
- Now add the meat back in along with the washed rice, 2.5 cups water and salt -mix well.
- Close the lid and position the valve on seal and press the rice function. Once the cooking time is done, Natural release for 5 minutes, the quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Fluff with a fork and garnish with cilantro if desired. Enjoy!