An East African bean curry made with simple spices that’s ready in under 20 minutes. I have posted this kidney bean curry made with coconut milk before but this one is the original recipe. A filling nutritious meal for any day!
- 1 can kidney beans (28oz) washed and drained
- 1 med onion diced
- 2 tbs veg or avocado oil
- 1 large tomato
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 green chili (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Blend together the tomato, garlic, ginger and tomato paste and green chili if using.
- In a pot on med heat, add oil. Once hot, saute onion until soft.
- Now add all the powdered spices, including paprika and salt. Mix for a couple of minutes. Add in the tomato mixture and 1/2 cup water. Mix again.
- Add in the washed kidney beans, cover with a lid and let simmer on low for 10 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with rice or roti. Enjoy!