Today i want to share with you my dad’s favourite meal… Maraghe. Kidney beans cooked in aromatic spices .. you can add coconut milk or keep it as is… I decided to add coconut milk to give that extra boost of flavor . Maraghe is usually served with ugali but I served with rice since my kids prefer it . Personally I love ugali too ! It’s a total comfort meal and made in minutes ! Try it out and let me know what you think.
1-2 cans kidney beans
1 medium onion diced
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp oil
1 green chili chopped (adjust to taste )
1 med tomato diced or puréed ( depends on preference )
1-1¼ tsp salt
1 can coconut milk (2 if you want more gravy )
1/2 cup hot water
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1. Drain and wash kidney beans – keep aside
2. Add oil in a sauce pan on medium heat and sauté onion until soft and translucent.
3. Add ginger and garlic until fragrant . Add powdered spices , tomato and chili . Mix well. Add salt and mix again. Stir until tomatoes are soft and mushy if using chopped tomatoes . Add kidney beans.
4. Add 1/2 cup water and let simmer for 5 minutes on low heat – add more if you want a thinner gravy .
5. Add coconut milk and taste for salt . Stirring constantly on low heat for 2-3 minutes until the gravy is heated again
6. Add cilantro and mix
7. Add lemon juice, mix and turn off heat.
8. Garnish with additional cilantro and serve with rice or ugali.
** you can omit coconut milk and just add more water for the gravy **