This is one of my favourite childhood cookies! Cardamom infused Indian style shortbread cookies are a must. Pair it with a hot cup of tea or coffee and don’t forget to dunk!
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sooji ( fine semolina)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 egg
- Pinch of yellow or red food colouring powder mixed with a couple of drops of water (optional)
- optional – 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until pale.
- Add in the egg and mix.
- Now add flour, baking powder, and cardamom powder and mix again.
- Mix dough with hands or spatula and shape into balls.
- Place shaped balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- With a toothpick, skewer or cake pop sticks, make a spot of colour on top of each ball (the colour powders mixed with water).
- Bake for 20 minutes . Let rest on cookie sheet until cool. Enjoy!
I love your recipes as it reminds me of my mums cooking. Can I ask you what weight is a ‘cup’ ?
Thanks so much. one cups is approx 250ml.