This is my fave East African comfort food ! It’s a bold smooth coconut stew with cassava and tender meat that just brings it all together . This is my mother’s take on the recipe . Even though she was born and raised in Pakistan, she lived in East Africa for many years and makes a killer Mogo ! I eat this as is but you can totally pair it up with rice , naan or roti . I hope you enjoy this meal with your loved ones as much as I do .
- 1 lb stewing beef cut into cubes
- 1 heaping tbsp ginger paste
- 1 heaping tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 16 oz pkg of cassava – cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 green chilies chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3 cups water
- 1 box coconut cream (141g)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves ( optional) + some for garnish
- Place all the ingredients for the meat mixture in the instant pot and stir. Press manual function and set timer for 35 minutes. Let natural release. You can also boil meat mixture on stove top on low and covered until meat is very tender.
- In a separate pot, boil cut up cassava in 3 cups of water on med heat with 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp garlic paste until cassava is fork tender but not mushy.
- Once the meat and cassava are both cooked, add the meat mixture into the cassava mixture, including the beef broth.
- In a med bowl, break up coconut cream into pieces and add some of the hot broth into the bowl to dissolve the cream. Once dissolved, add to the pot. Stir well.
- Add cumin, turmeric, green chilies, and lemon juice and mix well and taste for salt.
- Add chopped cilantro if using, and stir again.
- Let curry simmer until desired thick consistency.
- Garnish with additional cilantro and enjoy!
** Check out the video on how to make this dish on IG @thismomskitchen**