Digging into my East African roots today to bring you one of my most loved foods! Kara kebabs or round kebabs – East African style.
My grandmother’s were my most favorite and this recipe comes very close. Spiced meatballs fried to golden perfection .. I haven’t tried them in the air fryer yet so If you do let me know how they turn out 🙂
I served these meatballs with air fryer fries and chutneys for dipping .. I mean I’m ok with just some good hot sauce mixed with ketchup too … lol 😂
⁃ 1 LB ground meat
⁃ 2 heaping tbsp ginger / garlic paste
⁃ 2 tsp salt
⁃ 2 tsp chopped green chilies (adjust to taste)
⁃ 1 tsp garam masala
⁃ 1 tsp red chili powder
⁃ 1/2 handful cilantro leaves
⁃ 1 onion – cut in quarters
⁃ 3-4 slices of bread – soaked for a few minutes then squeezed dry completely
⁃ 2 tbsp oil
⁃ 4 tbsp chickpea flour
⁃ 4 tbsp bread crumbs
⁃ Oil for frying
1. In a blender, add onion, coriander leaves and ginger garlic paste and blend.
2. In a large bowl, add meat, soaked and squeezed bread, blender mixture, chickpea flour, breadcrumbs, chilies, all the spices – including salt and oil.
3. Mix very well with hands
4. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours
5. After 2 hours, mix again and make into golf ball sized balls.
6. In a large wok or pot – add enough oil for frying on medium heat.
7. When oil is hot, add kebabs in batches to fry.
8. Fry for 4-5 minutes on one side then flip and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown- continue until all kebabs are fried.
9. When done, remove on paper towel lined plate.
10. Serve with coconut or tamarind chutney- enjoy