- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry dough – thawed- I use pre-cut puff pastry squares
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
Apple Pecan filling
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (if using salted then omit the salt in the recipe)
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples- peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon powder
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped pecans
- pinch of salt (if using unsalted butter)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
For the filling:
- In a saucepan, add butter and heat over med heat. Add apples, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt if using and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat and mix in pecans. Set aside until completely cooled.
- Cut puff pastry sheets into squares with a pizza cutter or a sharp knife.
- Place a tbsp of cooled apple mixture in the centre of the square and close the edges using a fork. Or you can close 2 sides of the square using a fork to create a ‘pocket’ then fill each pocket with a tbsp or so of the mixture then seal the remaining open side with a fork. (for a video on how to do that , check out my instagram @thismomskitchen).
- Place the turnovers on the prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg and 1 tbsp of water in a bowl and brush egg wash on each pie.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly then gently transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy!
** You can make the pies ahead of time to freeze (before baking). Once ready to bake, you can bake from frozen for the same amount of time and temperature. ***