A perfectly spiced chicken curry just like the way mom makes except it’s a speedy version of the dish. A delicious aromatic curry with juicy chicken served with rice or naan is the ideal comfort food at our house.
- 1/4 cup veg oil
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- 3-4 cloves
- 1.5 lb chicken (I used drumsticks)
- 2 cups of water
For the Blender
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup fried onions
- 1 small tomato
- 1 heaping tbsp garlic paste
- 1 heaping tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder – you can also sub for green chili paste or 1 small green chili diced (adjust to taste)
- 1 small tomato
- 2 small potatoes cut into chunks
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot on med heat.
- Once oil is hot, add in whole spices ( cardamom, cumin seeds, peppercorns and cloves) and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add in chicken pieces and cook until light brown, stirring often (about 10 minutes). If using potatoes then add in now.
- While the chicken is cooking, blend all the ingredients listed above for the blender and keep aside.
- Once the chicken is halfway cooked, add in the blended mixture and about 2 cups of water to the pot. ( I put the water in the blender first to get all the spices out and then poured it into the pot). You can add more water if you want a thinner gravy.
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer on med low to low for at least 20 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and potatoes are fork tender. Ensure to stir occasionally.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, adjust spice and salt level if needed. Garnish with cilantro if using and serve with rice or naan. Enjoy!