Growing up, mom used to make moong all the time and I always felt comforted by this dish . It was a staple in our house because it is nutritious, easy , and budget friendly . So now I make this for my kids too and they love it! Back in the day there was no instant pot but now I take my mom’s recipe and speed it up for us in the IP and it tastes exactly the same .. just faster … it’s vegan and gluten free … bonus !
- 3/4 cup Green moong daal – soaked overnight
- 2 cups water
- 3 Chillies, green (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 Large onion diced
- 2 Medium tomatoes diced
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric, powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
1. Put IP on sauté mode and add oil
2. Once oil is heated, add cumin seeds and ginger garlic paste and sauté for 30 seconds
3. Add onion and green chili and sauté until onion is translucent
4. Add tomatoes and sauté until soft
5. Add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala , sauté for another minute.
6. Add moong, water and salt . Stir well
7. Close the IP lid, place on seal and turn on manual mode for 5 minutes . Once done, quick pressure release.
8. Add in chopped cilantro and lemon juice . Mix well and serve over rice or with roti.