- 1 lb fresh fish cut into med sized pieces – do not cut too small (any white fish or salmon works)
- 4 tbsp oil (I used avocado oil)
Ingredients for the marinade
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lime juice (lemon juice will work too)
Ingredients for Curry / gravy portion
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1-2 green chilies chopped (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek
- 1 -2 cups hot water or as needed for gravy ( depends on preference)
- In a large bowl, marinate the fish in the spices indicated above under marinade and mix well with gloved hands – keep aside.
- In a large pan, heat 4 tbsp oil on med high heat and cook fish – 3 minutes on each side. Once done, bring onto a plate and keep aside.
- Place the leftover oil from the pan in a med pot or you can use the same pan over medium heat. Add the curry leaves, garlic and ginger pastes, and chopped green chilies- mix for 10 seconds. Be careful of the spatter.
- Now add in grated onion, powdered spices (coriander, chili, turmeric, salt) and mix well.
- Add in tomato puree and cook for 2-3 minutes ( add in 1-2 tbsp of water if your spices are sticking to the pan).
- Now add in water for the gravy ( add water according to the amount of gravy you want ) I added 1.5 cups.
- Place the fish gently back in the pan and let simmer covered for 15-20 minutes or until fish is fully cooked to your liking.
- Once cooked, add in dried fenugreek and mix gently, turn off heat and you can also add in freshly chopped cilantro at this point. Pro -tip- rub the dried fenugreek in the palm of your hands before adding to the pan to release the oils and flavour.
- Serve with roti, rice or naan. Enjoy!